Position: Communications Associate
Reports to: Director, NC Get Covered
Type: Contract position (40 hours per week)
Pay Range: $45,000 – $60,000 per year, depending on experience
Location: Morrisville, NC office and/or home office
Closing Date: October 17, 2017
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to wstallings@CareShareHealth.org.
NC Get Covered is seeking a full-time Communications Associate to oversee, coordinate, and implement North Carolina’s media and messaging efforts related to the Affordable Care Act.
About NC Get Covered
NC Get Covered is a statewide, non-partisan initiative that connects and convenes diverse organizations affected by or interested in the implementation of the Affordable Care Act in North Carolina. NC Get Covered coalition partners include community-based organizations, in-person assisters, health insurance carriers, agents and brokers, health care providers, hospitals, faith organizations, community health centers and more.
NC Get Covered, formerly known as The Big Tent, started with a small group of 40 organizations in February 2013, but has since grown to include more than 250 organizations and 700 individuals statewide. The coalition’s work is generously funded by the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust.
About Care Share Health Alliance
Care Share is the administrative and fiscal home for NC Get Covered. Care Share’s mission is “collaborating for health equity,” which involves working with state and local partners to facilitate and foster Collaborative Networks and models that improve the health of the underserved in North Carolina.
A Collaborative Network is an entity comprised of multiple local partners who integrate medical, preventative, community, social and economic resources to achieve collective outcomes through a coordinated system of care. The network has a shared vision, purpose, priorities, strategies and objectives aligned to improve the health of the underserved. The majority of networks working with Care Share are providing in-person assistance to help enroll their uninsured patients in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (90%)
The charge of the Communications Associate is to:
- Develop a year-round ACA media strategy
- Cultivate key, consistent messages for partners on the ground to rely on (e.g., the ACA is still the law and financial help is available)
- Oversee statewide ACA advertising and promotional efforts/ Find creative ways to promote ACA outreach and enrollment resources – e.g., toll-free number, Get Covered Connector, and in-person assisters
- Actively pitch stories, deadlines, and local ACA enrollment events
- Create media advisories for partner organizations to use or modify
- Train partner organizations on how to develop their own media/messaging plans and work with their local media
- Prep in-person assisters and consumers for media interviews
- Cultivate and leverage relationships with media/ Capitalize on earned media opportunities
Additional Activities (<10%)
- Participate in monthly NC Get Covered Coalition and Advisory Board meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field
- Previous communications leadership experience in a non-profit setting or electoral/issues campaign, ideally including work on healthcare issues
- Experience in story collection
- Experience in prepping volunteers, staff and/or consumers to talk to press
- Experience in pitching events
- Culturally sensitive communication and presentation skills
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work as a team towards a statewide effort
- Flexibility/adaptability to changes in the health care environment
- Experience with ACA outreach, education and enrollment
- Existing relationships with state media
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Maintain a trustworthy, positive, proactive and cooperative attitude among all employees to help create and support an environment that encourages employee teamwork and respect for diversity. Complete other job duties as required.
As an equal opportunity employer, Care Share is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment with a commitment to our values and mission. Care Share provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. Minorities are encouraged to apply.